Thursday 1 January 2009

Who is Last-Year Girl?


Hello! I'm Frances. I'm an editor and writer based in London. I love vintage style and retro fashion and design. I've been writing Last-Year Girl since 2009.

What topics do you write about?
Books, especially vintage fashion books. And fashion, especially vintage fashion.
I also write about stylish women, music, design, shops and my adventures in London and beyond.

What posts should I read first? 
A few of my favourites are: Early 1940s Fashions in A Time To Be BornThe Life of a 1930s model in Clothes PegsLast-Year Girl: Peggy MoffittStreet Corner SoulLast-Year Reads: The Fashionable Mind and Last-Year Reads: Lilly Daché's Glamour Book.

How can I ask you a question? 
You can follow me on Twitter @francesambler, or email me here.

Where else do you write? 
I'm currently a contributing editor for the magazine The Simple Things. I write daily for Retro To Go. I was one of the writers on The Rough Guide To Vintage London (published May 2013). I wrote for, as well as editing for a year, Domestic Sluttery.  I've also written for Sky Lifetime, Oh Comely, Metro, Mollie MakesBoutique Hotels and Eurocheapo.com.

I also worked as a project editor at the V&A Museum for over ten years. I worked on books including Dior, Balenciaga, The A to Z of Style, British Design from 1948, (my personal favourite) Horrockses Fashions and many, many more. I have recently copyedited Vintage Fashion Complete for Thames & Hudson: out October 2014, and surely the definitive book for any vintage fashion lover.

What if I want more?
You can follow me on Instagram for pictures of (mainly) old books and travel adventures. I also write a second blog, Fancies, full of shiny new fashion and homewares. You can take a look at that here.

Thanks for reading!

2 comments:

  1. The post on the Powers Girls features my mother Lucille Casey! I have read the book and she was listed in the back.
    Are you a flapper too? I am on wordpress at Odyssey of Love if you want to check out my posts on adventures in livingness. Your site is fabulous! Luellen Smiley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Thank you for getting in touch - it's amazing to hear from relatives of people I've featured. Your mother looks beautiful in that photo I've used, her dress is amazing!

      Maybe not a flapper, but I do like spending a lot of time looking at the clothes, pictures and books of the past.

      Thanks for stopping by and your kind words - I'm going to check out your blog now, Frances x

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...