Friday 12 July 2013

Last-Week Links: 12 July 2013


As I mentioned in my last post, I'm in a bit of shock at the moment as the UK seems to be having an actual summer for the first time in ages. With that comes the realisation that heat combined with staring at your computer for hours or sitting in a stuffy office isn't terribly fun. Cue more holiday fantasies. I love this shoot by Tom Craig for Vogue Russia, found thanks to Hannah Hayes. Yes, I'd like to look like Arizona Muse in a Dior skirt in Sicily please. Lots more dreamy summer imagery in the typically wonderful Gems's Summer Girls collection.

Also as previously referenced, I went to the opening of the Club to Catwalk: London Fashion in the 80s exhibition at the V&A on Monday. I think the show will do a lot to shift people's assessment of this period in fashion, and I love the wealth of different designers and styles covered by the show. It really manages to capture a sense of creative DIY. There's a really nice interview with the instigator of the show, Wendy Dagworthy, in the Telegraph - I especially love the story behind her bangles. And, self-promo no.1, I wrote a piece about the show for Metro blogs which you can read here.

Meanwhile, Zandra Rhodes has been mouthing off about Vivienne Westwood (and just about everything else) according to the Daily Mail; Jean Paul Gaultier has "hit back" at Tim Blanks. You might think they both had exhibitions to promote or something. Oh wait.



New book, The Astronaut Wives Club, focus on the women in the lives of some of America's most famous space travellers, and judging from this piece in T Magazine will be a fascinating read. This photograph shows one of the astronaut wives, Jane Conrad, in her custom-made Pucci for the launch of Apollo 12.

Talking of the truly glamorous of the period, I was fascinated to stumble across Jackie Kennedy's receipt for services received at Lilly Daché's salon. The cost on the bill is $150, while it's selling for $345 - make of that what you will.

Finally, in my retro glamour section, Last-Week Link regular Carmen dell'Orefice was interviewed for the Daily Mail (again, sorry!), full of the wisdom gleaned over 70 years of modelling, and a longing for what has been lost: "These young models are taught to walk a certain way – it’s all about sex", she says. "There is a lack of refinement, there is no romance. Everything is a vulgar description of life – it is so sad."


More Pucci (the sunshine must really be getting to me), though this little number is from the collection of Suzy Menkes's clothes currently being sold in an online auction at Christies. The 80 lots include masses of Ossie Clark, Bill Gibb, Lacroix and Yves Saint Laurent and, according to Menkes in this interview with the Independent, the clothes are an "expression of the joy and fun of fashion – with a bit of English eccentricity thrown in". This dress has a starting bid of £150 ... tempting!

Not quite so glam but definitely retro, who would have thought there could be anything more to say about Bill Cosby's sweater now the Cosby Sweater project exists? But thanks to Furcoat and her tip-off on this Collector's Weekly Article, I've realised they are more interesting than I ever would have imagined.

And to finish up, in self-promo no.2, I had the joy of being asked about my favourite vintage London tips to London On The Inside. Read it to find out makes for my perfect London day and to see a rather large picture of my head...! Terrifying.

On to the weekend. What are you up to? I'm most excited about swooning over Richard Hawley in the gorgeous setting of Somerset House, on what looks set to be a beautiful weekend overall. I'm also getting very excited about heading over to Suffolk for the Latitude festival next weekend, so this will be my last set of links for a couple of weeks. Hope you have weekends and weeks full of lovely plans and sunshine too.

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...